Are tax refunds legal?

Our experts reassure you about the legality of the tax refund process

Our team of experts at DSR Tax Claims know how confusing taxation matters can be, and we know that you might be worried that you could be doing something you shouldn’t by claiming your maximum rebate, so let us put your mind at ease.Tax refunds are perfectly legal, after all, it’s your money! Now we know that HMRC don’t always make it easy for you to claim back your overpaid tax – for some reason, that seems to be the way with government departments – they never make things easy and simple for you. That is why we at DSR Tax Claims can help you by sorting out that minefield of paperwork for you. Call us on 0330 122 9972 and let us help you get your maximum refund.

How can tax deductions be incorrect?

If you pay your tax by the PAYE system you might assume that because it is worked out automatically for you by your employer, that your tax deductions must be correct but sometimes mistakes happen. And sometimes you incur expenses that leave you out of pocket that you can claim tax reliefon. And if you are self-employed, there are a number of ways that you can leave you paying far too much tax.

The following situations can mean that you are owed tax back from HMRC:

  • If you have changed jobs or only started work part-way through a tax year then there is a chance that your tax code is incorrect or you are using an emergency tax code, which means that too much tax is automatically deducted from your pay.
  • If you have more than one job, you might not be making the most of your personal tax-free allowance.
  • If you have to travel to a temporary workplace, you are entitled to claim back your travel expenses.
  • If you are a construction worker, under the CIS scheme, then you are likely paying more tax than you should.
  • Maybe you have made a mistake on your self-assessment form and haven’t informed HMRC of any fall in income.

What happens if you receive a refund you don’t think you are entitled to?

If you receive a refund and you don’t think you should have, then you need to get in touch with HMRC. It is a big mistake to assume that you can just keep it, no questions asked. If HMRC think you have been overpaid by them, they will claim that back. However, if you are a DSR Tax Claims client then you don’t need to worry – we take care of all of your dealings with HMRC so you don’t have to. All you need to do is let us know about the situation and then we will take it from there.

In the same way, if you think your refund is too small, don’t keep quiet about it! HMRC do make mistakes from time to time and you don’t want to miss out on the timescales for claiming so get onto it as soon as possible. Of course, if you are a DSR Tax Claims client then we specialise in getting you your maximum refund and fast so you are unlikely to be complaining that your refund is too small! Call us now on 0330 122 9972 and let’s get that money back to you where it belongs.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return