Professional sports players and tax refunds

Everything you need to know about tax refunds if you are a professional sports player

So you are a professional sports player, an expert in your field of sport, but are you aware of all of the expenses you acquire that could be eligible for tax relief? Our tax experts at DSR Tax Claims might not be able to join you on the sports pitch, but we are professionals in the field of tax preparation and we can help you get your maximum tax refund. We have created this handy guide to let you know all about how you could be entitled to claim a tax rebate on your expenses. You can also check out our handy online calculator. Of course, we know how much hassle all that paperwork can seem, so give our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972 and let us help you get your hard-earned cash back to you, usually within 21 days.

What can you claim for

If you are a professional sports player or athlete then there are a number of areas where your expenses are eligible for tax relief – so if you have already incurred these expenses, you could be entitled to a tax rebate, which could be backdated for up to four years.

You can claim professional sports tax relief on the following expenses:

  • Travel – to training grounds, away matches, reserve games or to home grounds (if you are on loan to another team).

  • Travel for medical treatment

  • Accommodation costs while travelling as a part of your professional duties.

  • Food costs while travelling as a part of your professional duties.

  • Costs for any kit required.

  • Laundry costs for that kit.

What information will you need

To process your claim with HMRC, we will need some information from you. Because you can only claim for expenses you have actually occurred, HMRC will often request proof that you have incurred the expenses in the first place. We at DSR Tax Claims are rightly proud of our good standing with HMRC and will never claim a penny more than you are entitled to claim, so our refunds are guaranteed 100% HMRC-safe.

To process your claim, and protect you from potential fraud, it is essential that we are able to confirm your identity so the following information is essential:

  • A copy of your photographic ID – driving licence or passport.

  • Proof of your address – so a utility bill, bank statement or council tax demand will be needed.

The following information will help to support your claim and help us to claim you your maximum refund:

  • A list of all the places you have travelled to for work and the dates you were there. These don’t need to be exact but the more detailed the information you give us, the more we can claim on your behalf.

  • Receipts for any expenses you have incurred – whether this is for kit or laundry expenses.

  • Wages slips for the previous four years.

  • P60s and P45s for the previous four years.

  • MOT certificates

  • Employment contracts.

Don’t worry if you can’t lay your hands on all these – call our helpful team on 0330 122 9972 and we will try to assist you in any way we can.

What happens next?

We take all the information you have given us and calculate your tax refund – backdated for up to four years if you haven’t previously claimed. Then as soon as you have approved our calculations and we have submitted your claim to HMRC, the money is as good as yours and should be in your account within 21 days. DSR Tax Claims deal with HMRC on your behalf so you can concentrate on being the best you can be – so call our team of experts on 0330 122 9972 and let us get you your maximum rebate fast.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return