Tax advice for junior doctors

Everything you need to know about tax refunds for junior doctors

Chances are, if you are a junior doctor you are already rushed off your feet, so you probably don’t have the time or energy to sit down and find information about your tax situation. No need to worry – DSR Tax Claims are here to help you out. We have put together this handy guide to tell you everything you need to know about your tax affairs. You might even be entitled to a tax refund on your travel expenses too. Check out our online calculator or give our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972 and let us take the hassle out of your taxes.

Can you claim a tax refund as a junior doctor?

If you work as a junior doctor, there are a number of areas where you may be entitled to tax relief on your expenses. Basically, if you are left out of pocket in any way simply by doing your job, there is a good chance you can claim that money back from HMRC. After all, it is your money in the first place so it is far better if it is back in your bank account where it belongs. Although you will be taxed via the PAYE system, it doesn’t take into account any out-of-pocket expenses you might have incurred. Luckily, DSR Tax Claims Ltd can get those back for you.

What kinds of expenses can be claimed for?

The main expenses that junior doctors claim back are travel expenses to temporary workplaces. To qualify as a temporary workplace, you need to have been there for under 24 months. It can be a complex matter to determine whether your workplace qualifies as temporary – it can depend on the contract under which you work. If it is a rotational contract that states that you are supposed to work in a series of hospitals then you probably won’t qualify for tax relief on your expenses but if you are employed under a single contract but you are required to work at different sites, you may be eligible to claim those costs back. And claims can be backdated for up to four years as well. Give our friendly team of experts a call on 0330 122 9972 and we can put you straight.

It’s not just travel expenses either! If you have paid for fees towards a professional body or laundered your own specialised work clothing, those expenses can leave you out of pocket and may leave you eligible for a refund on those costs – our expert knowledge can look into all of your circumstances and see where you could be eligible for tax relief on your expenses.

If you have to relocate for your training, you could also be eligible for tax relief on your relocation costs – including legal fees, removal costs, maybe even the replacement of certain domestic appliances. It does have to be essential for your work though and you do need to have the receipts to show that you paid for these expenses yourself – HMRC will want to see any supporting information for these kinds of claims. Any reimbursement of costs is tax-free up to £8000.

Will you be required to fill in a self-assessment tax return?

If you are claiming expenses above £2,500 then you will need to file a self-assessment tax return. Similarly, if you have other forms of untaxed income of over £10,000, say from investments or rental income, you will also need to fill in a self-assessment tax return. Don’t despair though – DSR Tax Claims are happy to help you through all of that paperwork as well as getting you your maximum refund, which could be back in your bank account within 21 days.

Give our team of tax preparation specialists a call on 0330 122 9972 and we can get started on your claim straightaway.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return