Healthcare workers and tax refunds

Everything you need to know about tax refunds for healthcare workers

Some days it can be hard enough to do your job, never mind worrying about whether you are paying too much tax or trying to find out whether you are entitled to a refund – especially when you work in healthcare. We at DSR Tax Claim want to make life easier for all of our clients so we have created this handy guide to let you know whether you could be entitled to a tax refund. Check out our handy online calculator to see how much you could claim in tax rebates or give our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972.

What you can claim for

Travel costs

For most healthcare workers, travel costs make up the largest part of their tax refund. However, you can’t just claim any travel costs you might rack up during your working week. HMRC rules state that you can only claim for travel to and from a temporary workplace – which in HMRC’s eyes, is somewhere you work temporarily for less than 24 months. So unfortunately, if you are just commuting to your normal workplace, those costs are not considered to be claimable. The travel also has to be essential to your job – you can’t include your own personal travel in with your claim.

It doesn’t matter whether you use your own vehicle or public transport, you are entitled to claim back your travel costs to temporary workplaces or any business travel you do during your working day.

If your temporary workplace is pretty close to your usual workplace and doesn’t incur a significant change in travel costs then HMRC might not consider this to be a claimable expense either – our team of experts will put you straight so give them a call on 0330 122 9972 if you are unsure.

If you already get some mileage allowance from your employer but it is less than the HMRC approved mileage rates of 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles (25p per mile after that) then you are entitled to claim the difference.

Professional Subscriptions

You might be entitled to claim back the costs of any professional subscriptions, such as your fees to the BMA. HMRC have a number of qualifying guidelines, for example, whether you have paid the fees yourself and whether the subscription is required or strongly helpful to you doing your job. You can’t claim for lifetime membership for these subscriptions and your professional subscription has to be on the HMRC approved list. Call our team on 0330 122 9972 for more advice on claiming for your professional subscriptions.

Training and education expenses

You might be able to claim back some of your expenses for training and education although not all of these expenses will be eligible for tax relief. Generally speaking, if they are essential for you to do your job then they are claimable – along with the travel expenses they incur – but as in many cases, HMRC rules aren’t quite as straightforward as that. HMRC rules hinge around the concept of “necessary to perform the job” – so if the training is advantageous to your career then that wouldn’t be classed as necessary and wouldn’t be eligible for tax relief. HMRC won’t allow claims for training done in preparation for a role either – for example, the costs of training a new employee. Our expert team at DSR Tax Claims can help you navigate this extremely tricky area so give us a call on 0330 122 9972.

Other expenses

As well as the above expenses, there are a whole host of other expenses that might be eligible for tax relief. These could include laundry costs for specialised uniform items or replacing a piece of equipment which is essential for you to do your job. Give our team of tax experts a call on 0330 122 9972 and let us get you your maximum claim fast. And don’t forget, your claim could be backdated for up to four years, meaning more of your hard-earned money making its way back to your bank account.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return