Tax refunds for police officers

Everything you need to know about tax refunds for police officers

Whether you are a uniformed officer or not, you might be entitled to a tax rebate on any expenses you have incurred as a part of your job. Our experts at DSR Tax Claims know how hard it can be to find good, quality information about taxation matters so we have created this handy guide all about tax refunds for police officers – after all, your job is hard enough. You can also check out our handy online calculator to see if you could be eligible for a refund or call our friendly and professional team on 0330 122 9972 and let us take the weight off your shoulders.

What can police officers claim for?

Travel expenses can make up a large part of the tax refund owed to most police officers. If you have to travel to a temporary workplace as a part of your job then you are entitled to claim those costs back as tax relief. HMRC designate a site as a temporary workplace if it lasts for less than 24 months. Whether you use your own car or public transport to travel there, you are entitled to claim those costs back. This doesn’t include your usual commute though, unfortunately. If that is the only travel you do, you won’t be able to claim those costs.

HMRC approved mileage rates are 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile for travel above that and you can backdate your claim for up to four years if you are eligible. And if your temporary workplace means an overnight stay, you could claim for your food and accommodation costs too. Call our helpful team on 0330 122 9972 and we will let you know how to begin your claim.

There are other expenses that you could be able to claim for too. If the following apply to you, they could make up part of your tax refund:

  • The cost of repairing or replacing any equipment you need as a part of your job.

  • The costs of cleaning, repairing or replacing any of your uniform or protective clothing you may need to wear as a part of your job.

  • Membership or subscription fees for any professional body that is necessary or helpful to you as a part of doing your job, such as your Police Federation subscription.

  • Dog handlers may even be able to claim for expenses relating to the transport or care of your police dog.

  • You might even be able to claim a flat-rate tax relief amount of £140 per year, without the need for paperwork and receipts.

It doesn’t matter if you have recently left the police force because refund claims can be backdated for up to four years – call our team on 0330 122 9972 and we will guide you through the claims process. And don’t forget that if you have moved into a related field, such as security, we can help you claim your maximum refund for that too.

So, what happens now?

If you think you are owed money by HMRC, call our expert team on 0330 122 9972 and let’s get started on your claim. DSR Tax Claims deal with all of the paperwork as well as dealing with HMRC on your behalf because we aim to take away all of the hassle of the refund process for our clients. You don’t need to worry that you will end up in trouble with HMRC because we only claim what you are entitled to and not a penny more. DSR Tax Claims are rightly proud of our good standing with HMRC and all our refunds are 100% HMRC-safe. And best of all, once we have submitted your claim your money could be back in your bank account where it belongs within 21 days.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return