PAYE forms – P45s, P60s and P11Ds

Our experts tell you what each of these PAYE forms is used for

Our experts at DSR Tax Claims know how hard it is to find good, quality information about HMRC’s tax regulations that is easy to understand, and that’s why we have created these handy guides to tell you everything you need to know. Our aim is to make life easier for our clients and that is why we want to share our expertise with you. You can also call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust. Or you can check out our online calculator to see if you could be due a refund.

What is a P45?

When you stop working for an employer, you will receive a P45 form from them. Your P45 form shows how much tax you have paid on your salary so far in the current tax year, which runs from 6th April until 5th April the following year. Your employer must provide you with a P45 by law so if they don’t provide you with one, you should ask them for one.

Each P45 is made up of 4 parts – Part 1, Part 1A, Part 2 and Part 3. There are different purposes for each of these parts:

  • Part 1 is sent to HMRC by your employer, who then gives you the rest of the P45 to you.
  • You give Parts 2 and 3 to your new employer so they know how much tax you have already paid in that tax year, as well as which tax code should be used to tax you in your new job. If you’re not working, you will give these parts to Jobcentre Plus instead.
  • You keep Part 1A for your own records.

If you are just starting your first ever job, or you are taking on a second job in addition to one you already have, you won’t have a P45. It will be up to your employer to work out how much tax they should be deducting from your salary. They might use a ‘starter checklist’ to collect the relevant information about you so they can work out which tax code you should be using.

What is a P60?

Your P60 shows you how much tax you paid on your salary in the previous tax year. You will receive one shortly after the end of each tax year. If you have more than one job, you should get a separate P60 for each of your jobs.

If you are working for an employer on 5th April (the last day of each tax year), they must give you a P60 by 31st May. They can provide this electronically or on paper.

You need to keep your P60 in a safe place because you may be asked for it, to prove how much tax you paid on your wages or salary. You will need it if you want to claim back overpaid tax, if you want to claim tax credits and it will often be used as proof of income if you apply for a loan or mortgage.

What is a P11D?

If you receive any ‘benefits in kind’ from your employer, they might provide you with a copy of your P11D. Your employer needs to send a P11D to HMRC to report any ‘benefits in kind’ or taxable benefits that they provide to you, such as private medical insurance or a company car.

Your employer doesn’t have to provide you with a copy of your P11D if your employer deducts any tax you owe for the benefits directly out of your salary or wages, but they do have to tell you how much each benefit is worth and how much tax they have deducted as a result.

What happens if you have lost any of these PAYE forms?

Unfortunately, if you have lost your P45, you can’t get a copy so it is really important that you keep your P45 safe when you receive it. To try to prevent you being taxed on an emergency tax in your new job, your new employer might give you a ‘Starter Checklist’ or ask you for details of your finances to send to HMRC so they can tax you correctly.

If you lose your P60 your employer can provide you with a replacement.

If you need a copy of your P11D, your employer can usually provide you with one. If, for some reason, your employer can’t give you a copy, you can contact HMRC for a copy instead. To contact HMRC, you can call 0300 200 3300 (textphone 0300 200 3319).

How can DSR Tax Claims help?

We aim to make life as simple as possible for our clients and that includes giving you the information you need to make your taxes (and your life) simpler and less stressful.  Our team of experts at DSR Tax Claims are always on hand to help our clients and our excellent standing with HMRC means that we can make sure you don’t fall foul of their regulations, while claiming your maximum tax rebate. We can even take care of all that paperwork and deal with HMRC on your behalf too. Call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.

This page was last updated on 26/10/2018.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return