Offshore workers and tax refunds

What supporting information you will need to support your claim

If you work offshore, you will probably want to know if you are classed as an offshore worker in HMRC’s eyes – because that will make all the difference to your tax status. We at DSR Tax Claims aim to make life as easy as possible for you – after all, who has the time or energy after a hard day or night’s work to begin searching for taxation information. This handy guide should tell you everything you need to know about offshore workers and tax refunds. Our handy online calculator will let you know if you are eligible for a tax refund – if you are, give our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972 and let us get you your maximum refund fast.

What do HMRC say about offshore workers?

According to HMRC, you are classed as an offshore worker in the gas or oil industries if you meet the following criteria:

  • You work on oil and gas rigs and other offshore installations

  • You are employed on pipe laying vessels; or,

  • You do ancillary or support work for the oil and gas industry.

What can you claim for?

Whatever your job title, if you work offshore you are entitled to claim your travel expenses as tax relief. And as you no doubt know, when you are travelling to a rig or other offshore installation it can get pretty expensive.

On top of your travel expenses, you might also end up having to stay overnight in a hotel, along with associated meal costs, while you wait for to be transported to your rig, and you are entitled to those costs back too – but make sure you keep your receipts. HMRC need evidence that you have incurred these costs in the first place. It’s also possible you have had to shell out on tools to do your job. If you have had to pay for something out of your own pocket in order to do your job, you could be able to claim that money back from HMRC.

Some offshore workers will be required to fill out a self-assessment tax return – either because they are higher-rate tax payers or because they have a considerable amount of expenses to claim for. This needn’t be a headache – DSR Tax Claims can help you with your self-assessment tax returns and deal with HMRC on your behalf so you don’t need to deal with the hassle.

We are experts at claiming back every penny you have overpaid in your taxes so you needn’t be out of pocket for a penny more than needs be. DSR Tax Claims can claim you your maximum tax rebate so give us a call on 0330 122 9972 and let’s get the process started. You can backdate your claim for up to four years so that could be a tidy sum making its way back to you. And once we submit your claim, we can have your refund money back to you within 21 days which only seems fair to us, after all it is your money in the first place.

Whatever your job role offshore, we are here to make life easier for you. Call our friendly team of tax experts on 0330 122 9972 and let us take some of the hassle out of your busy life so you get to enjoy your precious free time doing something you love – and that’s probably not paperwork!

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return