Offshore Tax Refunds what can you claim for

Everything you need to know about offshore tax refunds

We at DSR Tax Claims know how difficult it can be to sort out your tax returns as well as working offshore for long periods of time. That is why we aim to take the hassle out of the tax return process so you can get on with enjoying your free time, safe in the knowledge that you are not being left out of pocket for any travel expenses. Check out our handy guide for more information on how we can help you get your maximum refund fast. Our friendly team are always here to help so call us on 0330 122 9972 and let’s get started.

What can you claim for as an offshore worker?

If you work offshore, on a rig or offshore installation, you are entitled to claim tax relief on any travel expenses to “temporary workplaces”, which according to HMRC regulations are temporary workplaces of less than 24 months duration. Whether you use your own vehicle or public transport, you are entitled to those costs back. If your employer pays some of your travel expenses, you can still claim for the difference up to the HMRC mileage level of 45p per mile up to 10,000 miles (then 25p per mile above that threshold).

And that’s not all – you can also claim for accommodation costs and expenses if you have to hang around waiting to fly out to your rig. If there is a delay in your travel plans which leaves you out of pocket then you can claim for your hotel costs and meal expenses, as long as you have the receipts to back up your claim. Unfortunately, you do need those receipts to support our claim – HMRC are unlikely to take your word alone on the costs you have racked up.

If you are unsure of whether you can claim for an expense, give our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972 and they will be happy to put you straight.

What information will you need?

So that we can claim your maximum rebate on your behalf, we need some information from you. Proof of ID information is essential – without that we cannot process your claim, due to UK legislation designed to protect you from fraud.

  • Proof of ID – photographic ID such as a driving licence or passport, as well as proof of address (utility bills or bank statements, that kind of proof).

  • A list of the rigs you have been based at and the dates you were based there. You should be able to get this information from your employer if you don’t already have it to hand.

  • We will need payslips if you get help with your travel costs, otherwise we don’t need to see these.

  • P60s and P45s can help support your tax refund claim if you have them.

  • MOT certificates.

  • Receipts for any expenses you have incurred, such as hotel costs or meal costs.

If you are not sure where to get hold of any of these, give our helpful team a call on 0330 122 9972 and we will try to help you find that supporting information.

What happens next?

Once we have all of your supporting information, we will calculate your tax refund and once you have approved our calculations, the money is as good as yours and should be back in your bank account where it belongs within 21 days after submission to HMRC. Call DSR Tax Claims on 0330 122 9972 and let us get you your maximum rebate fast.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return