Our tax preparation specialists explain how to file your annual accounts with HMRC

At DSR Tax Claims Ltd, we know that working out your company’s annual accounts can be hard work, and that’s before you have to deal with your Company Tax Return. That’s why our experts want to help make life as easy as possible for you by sharing our specialist knowledge with you. So, whether you are wanting more information about VAT or need to know about charitable tax relief, our handy guides are here to help. All our information is based on HMRC sources, so you can rest assured that these guides are filled with helpful and accurate information.

Filing your annual accounts online

HMRC has an online service which allows you to do the following, using the same service:

  • File your Company Tax Return for Corporation Tax (CT600) with HMRC
  • File your accounts with Companies House
  • File your Company Tax Return and annual accounts at the same time if they cover the same accounting period.

You can use this service if you are filing for a company, charity or association.

You will need your company’s annual accounts and they will need to be ‘balanced’, meaning that your total assets should match what you owe. Unincorporated associations, such as sporting clubs, can upload a PDF of their accounts using this service.

This service doesn’t allow you to file your confirmation statement (annual return) for Companies House.

You don’t need to buy any separate software to use this service – it can automatically convert your accounts into the correct format.

What information will you need?

You will need the following:

  • Your Government Gateway user ID and password. If you don’t already have one, you can register for a HMRC online account.
  • Your Companies House password and authentication code if you plan to file your accounts with Companies House at the same time. Again, if you are not already registered with Companies House, you can do so online.

What if you don’t want to file online?

HMRC will only allow you to file a paper return in rare circumstances. One of the following has to apply:

  • You want to file your return in Welsh.
  • You are unable to file online for a reasonable excuse.

You will need to send a paper form CT600 and also form WT1 to explain why you used a paper form instead of online filing.

How can DSR Tax Claims Ltd help?

We know that setting up a business can be hard work – there’s so much to think about and that’s before you start thinking about Corporation Tax and filing accounts. Our friendly team of tax specialists at DSR Tax Claims Ltd are on hand to help make life easier for you. We’re the experts at identifying your maximum allowable expenses so call us on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.