How to apply for Marriage Allowance

Our experts tell you everything you need to know about applying for this tax allowance

Our experts at DSR Tax Claims know how hard it is to find good, quality information about HMRC’s tax regulations that is easy to understand, and that’s why we have created these handy guides to tell you everything you need to know. Our aim is to make life easier for our clients and that is why we want to share our expertise with you. You can also call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust. Or you can check out our online calculator to see if you could be due a refund.

What is Marriage Allowance?

Marriage allowance is a tax allowance or tax relief that allows you to transfer an amount of your unused tax-free allowance (currently £12,500 per year) to your husband, wife or civil partner. By doing this, your partner will be able to reduce their tax bill by up to £250 per tax year.

To be able to do this, you need to earn less than your husband, wife or civil partner and earn less than the personal allowance threshold, which is £12,500 for the tax year 2019/20. This means that you aren’t using any of your personal allowance because you aren’t earning enough to be subject to tax in the first place. So, if your partner earns between £12,500 and £50,000 (or £43,430 in Scotland), you would be eligible for marriage allowance and could transfer some of your personal allowance to your partner.

If you are eligible to claim Marriage Allowance and haven’t done so in the past, you can backdate your claim to include any tax year from 5th April 2015, if you were eligible for Marriage Allowance in those years. If your partner has since died, you can still claim – contact the HMRC Income Tax helpline on 0300 200 3300 to backdate a claim for a deceased spouse or civil partner.

What information will you need when you apply?

It’s a pretty simple process to apply for Marriage Allowance but you will need to have a bit of information to hand when you contact HMRC.

You will need the following information:

  • Your National Insurance number
  • Your husband, wife or civil partner’s National Insurance number
  • Proof of your identity. If you are applying online, you can use any of the following: the last 4 digits of the account that you have your Child Benefit, tax credits or pension paid into; the last 4 digits of an account that pays you interest; details from your P60 or any of your last 3 payslips; your passport number and expiry date.

Once you have applied, HMRC will send you an email to confirm that your application for Marriage Allowance is being processed.

How can DSR Tax Claims help?

We aim to make life as simple as possible for our clients and that includes giving you the information you need to make your taxes (and your life) simpler and less stressful.  Our team of experts at DSR Tax Claims are always on hand to help our clients and our excellent standing with HMRC means that we can make sure you don’t fall foul of their regulations, while claiming your maximum tax rebate. We can even take care of all that paperwork and deal with HMRC on your behalf too. Call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.

This page was last updated on 10/04/2019.

Start Your Claim Today!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return